What do you want from Art Center's Interactive Design Department? What personally gets you excited about pursuing Interactive? What do you think is wrong with the program right now?
For some, I think it's basic flash skills, but I'm looking for something new. Some kind of insane experimentation that is probably more common in the world of fine art than in the design world, since there is so much technology to explore. I want to combine motion sensors with projectors with infrared systems with catscans with telepathic something or other. And I want the interactive design department to help rather than discourage. "This requires too much time, you don't have the skills needed to explore something like that, a project like that cannot be covered in a 14 week period, usually the things you're talking about are done by a large team of programmers, designers, etc". Dammit! Can we please get out of the software for a second, and think about how a caveman designer would approach this problem?
Everyone in this class is so silent. Please. A simple "you're an idiot" would be better than silence. Anything.
Daniel, can you post that video with that wood mirror thing.
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think you are right in some respects. I think the media design program is doing these things. I have also heard that basic Flash skills are needed to use some predesigned tools that allow interaction with other mechanisms outside of the computer. They have these.
I wonder if we can get access to these flash files and possibly some of the resources there. If the teachers are skilled in that department, maybe they can be asked to take us under their wing, or work in combination with other instructors.
The other option is to do a group independent study in collaboration with these resources. I think if a smaller, more concentrated, group was assembled, it would be easier to progress through the design challenges that may be hindered by a large class.
It just seems like the media design program is so close to home, that it would be the easiest resource to utilize. At least, after this class is done we will have proved working knowledge of enough flash to utilize these other tools. Now, we should be able to move on to the really cool stuff.
I just sometimes wonder if the people from grad media department are all self taught, it seems like there is not enough time to just teach the technology part and besides technology always changes so fast.
I was hoping this class can give me more perspective on interactions between media and humans, not much internet and humans...I think interactive department should offer at least some lecture of what is interactive and basic psychology of it.
Post a Comment